Sustain-Mobility – EPLM Conference
Conference – Symposium – Forum
26 February – 1 March 2023 | Schloss Hohenkammer – near Munich, Germany
Sustain-Mobility is the fourth conference of the European Platform on Learning Mobility (EPLM) in the youth field, building on the quality delivered through the collaborative approach of Learning Mobility institutions and Programmes in Europe.
The conference will be hosted by JUGEND für Europa, National Agency (Germany) for the EU programmes Erasmus+ Youth and European Solidarity Corps, in co-operation with the Partnership between the European Commission and the Council of Europe in the field of youth and other EPLM members.
What is the objective of the conference?
Youth work practice, research, policy, and young people have been working together through the EPLM to improve the quality of learning mobility activities. At the same time, sustainability has become one of the key areas of consideration for learning mobility, encompassing environmental, sociocultural, and economic dimensions (and more). The topic has gained importance due to young people’s growing climate change concerns. It has been incorporated as one of four key priority areas of Erasmus+ and European Solidarity Corps.
Seeing that learning mobility is one of the key pedagogical instruments in the European youth work field, now the question is, how to ensure more sustainable processes before, during, and after learning mobilities?
While many discussions in the youth field focus on the environmental (or “green”) aspect of sustainability, it is important to make connections between all three aspects and understand how they influence and are interdependent on each other. Therefore, starting with the holistic approach towards sustainability in learning mobility projects, the conference will have the following objectives:
● broaden participants’ perspectives on sustainability by exploring its sociocultural, economic, and environmental dimensions and how they might be demonstrated in youth learning mobility;
● map and connect stakeholders, organisations, and initiatives, which work on sustainability in youth learning mobility, and increase their visibility;
● provide a space to explore the connection between sustainability and learning mobility practices;
● reflect on participants’ strengths concerning sustainability, explore gaps and possible crossroads for support and co-operation;
● raise and explore dilemmas regarding learning mobility and sustainability;
● establish the connection of sustainability in learning mobility with current Erasmus+ and European Solidarity Corps programme priorities and priorities of other funding mechanisms, such as European Youth Foundation; and
● include the perspectives of young people, their understanding of sustainability, and their practice examples.
Who is the conference for?
The Sustain-Mobility Conference will gather around 150 practitioners, researchers, policy-makers, young people and other stakeholders, who will explore the topic of sustainability. As the EPLM supports the connection between research, practice, and policy, this event should have representation from all of these as well as young people themselves. The national delegations (of maximum four people per country) should come from the following profiles:
1. Youth worker/NGO worker in the youth field, with experience of implementing learning mobility projects and willing to explore sustainability in this context
2. Young person (age 18+), especially if they have a story to tell about how their learning mobility experience influenced them to make a (positive) impact on society through sustainability
3. Policymaker from local/regional/national level, related to youth policies, especially with a sustainability focus
4. National Agency staff members with an interest in how to expand the focus on the sustainability priority in EU Youth Programmes
The Sustain-Mobility Conference will be an interactive and dynamic space, which will include, among other elements, panel discussions, keynote speeches, workshop sessions and a fair of good practice (see more detailed information below). Please refer to the attached draft programme for more information.
The Fair of Good Practice
The fair of good practice will be a novelty in the format of EPLM conferences and it will take place on the 2nd day of the programme. Responding to the need for exchange and inspiration in order to act (even) more determinedly for sustainability in learning mobility, participants will be offered an opportunity to present and/or explore good practices in a dynamic and buzzing environment. The practices will be presented simultaneously, where each presenter will have their ‘stall’ and will be interacting with the visitors for the duration of the fair. The intention of the fair is to serve as a space to empower, stimulate exchange, inspire, and perhaps even encourage new ideas and partnerships. Therefore, if you have a tool, method, practice, publication that can show how to strengthen sustainability in learning mobility, you are warmly invited to participate actively in the fair. You can propose your idea in the specific section of the application form.
- Concept note_Sustain-Mobility_EPLM-Conference.pdf
- Draft program_Sustain-Mobility_EPLM-Conference.pdf
More information at: SALTO