Training Course: Acting Up – performing arts and drama methods in youth non-formal education
12-17 June 2023 | Maynooth University, County Kildare, Ireland, Ireland
Acting Up is an international training course on using performing arts and drama methods in non-formal education as tools to work with young people.
No previous experience in the areas of performing arts and drama is required to join this training. This three-day experiential training course led by Crooked House Theatre Company is for youth workers who would like to learn some participatory and applied arts methods to increase youth engagement and participation.
The programme will also be an opportunity to network with international organisations and youth workers. It will introduce participants to Irish cultural youth work practices, and how these methods fit into the Erasmus+ and European Solidarity Corps (ESC) programmes.
This hands-on training will explore drama methods:
- to integrate new groups;
- to create safe and inclusive spaces for young people to share ideas, stories, and opinions;
- to critically analyse social structures and the world in which we live;
- to build personal capacity in social skills, transversal skills, and personal development.
The aim of the training is to support youth workers in understanding how to use different techniques of devising (making scenes, moments, stories, and situations) showcasing and facilitating learning and personal development when working with diverse groups of young people.
- Participants will learn activities and methods drawn from drama practice, and how to apply them to work with young people.
- Participants will network with international youth workers, and learn about the opportunities to use creative practices in Erasmus+ and European Solidarity Corps (ESC) programmes.
- Participants will learn about some of the theories, principles, and ideas underpinning collaborative theatre-making with young people.
- Participants will discover some Irish youth theatre projects and practitioners, and find out about the context of Erasmus+ and ESC in Ireland.
Profile of participants:
- aged 18 and older;
- with an intermediate to advanced English level to engage fully in discussions;
- actively engaged in the field of youth work and currently working with young people,
- able to attend all working days and sessions (sometimes more than 8 hours a day),
- motivated and interested in the topics of the training course,
- motivated and willing to implement dissemination activities and share with others through workshops back home what you learned in the training course,
- with a positive attitude and motivation to cooperate in international teams and learn from and with the participants.
NOTE: There is no previous knowledge or experience needed in drama, movement practice, or creativity. The programme is tailored for those who are new to this field. The activities will not be physically demanding – and we will be guided by participants’ energy levels throughout.
Peter Hussey and Anna Galligan from Crooked House Theatre Company with guest facilitators.
Peter is a theatre-maker, lecturer and trainer of actors and directors. He founded and works for Crooked House and in universities in Ireland, UK, the EU and Turkey in acting, directing, theatre-making and performance research. He has published on the impact of theatre-making on neurological and social development in young people.
Anna worked for years with Youth Theatre Ireland training drama facilitators. She now facilitates and directs Kilkenny Youth Theatre and teaches performing Arts at Carlow Institute of Further Educational and Training. Anna trains Crooked House’s ESC volunteers in Drama Facilitation and directs work with Kildare Youth Theatre.
The training course will be held on the campus of Maynooth University, County Kildare, Ireland. Participants will stay in rooms in this 16th century campus, surrounded by gardens, walks and tranquillity. The campus is situated beside a town (less than 4 minutes away) and is 30 minutes from Dublin by train and bus. https://www.maynoothcampus.com/
Arrival: 12th June
Departures: 17th June
More information at: SALTO